Kids are always enthusiastic and full of life. Their inquisitiveness is endless, and they want to try something new every hour. Most of them find pleasure in treasure. To encourage their interest in adventure and add to their fun, get them something better than just a mere toy – get them a metal detector! Treasure hunts using a metal detector can enhance their mental prowess and discover interesting, if not precious, treasures.
In this MomJunction post, we list the ten best metal detectors for kids you can pick from to make their adventure time better.
10 Best Metal Detector for Kids
1. RM RICOMAX Metal Detector
- Simplify detections with pinpoint function
- Can be set to detect or ignore certain metals
- Can scrutinize up to 7.1 inches deep
- Water-resistant with an adjustable stem
- Detects all the metals including iron, aluminum, gold, bronze, silver and more
- Audio buzzer for alertness
- Audio jack for cutting outside noise
- High accuracy level
- Ease in functioning
- Adjustable stem for use by both adults and children
- Sound quality is not up-to-the-mark
- Need to purchase the battery separately
2. National Geographic Junior Metal Detector
- Comfortable to hold
- Dual weather-resistant coil for better detection
- Uncover objects buried one foot under the soil
- Compact, adjustable, and lightweight
- Coil arm extends up to 39 inches
- 3 AA batteries required
- Handy and compact
- Easily to operate
- Good for beginners
- Doesn’t have a high range
- Runs on AA batteries that need to be purchased separately and often
3. Canway Metal Detector
- LCD for crystalline screening
- Suitable for night searches
- Customizable length for kids
- Works in every weather
- Accurate detection of a variety of metals
- Audio jack, and volume controller
- Has a depth indicator and discrimination mode to isolate some metals and focus on some
- Adjustable arm with armrest suitable for both kids and adults
- Precise in detecting objects
- Lightweight – kids can hold easily
- Can be used underwater too
- Smooth and easy to operate
- May not find items like gold and silver
- Not completely waterproof
- Batteries may hinder a child’s play
- Unwanted beeps
4. DR. OTEK Metal Detector
- 8.3” water survivor coil
- Pinpoint the location of the metal
- Can be used in parks, beaches, mountains, and other environments. Can use in the dark too
- Adjustable stem as per kid’s height
- Buzzers and LCD to indicate the metal detected
- Adjustable stem with waterproof coil
- Convenient to use
- Worth the spending
- May not detect precious metals as it does iron and others.
5. MARNUR Metal Detector
- Comfortable height adjustment for your young one
- Additional hoe and shovel for assistance
- A bright display for enhanced search
- Sensitivity Adjustment
- Distinguishes objects in the range from 0-80
- Lightweight to carry around
- Notify battery charge with proper sound
- Waterproof coil
- Sensors for metal detection
- Find a lot of hidden items
- Easy to assemble
- Detailed sensitivity
- Cannot use in high temperatures
- The battery can leak if not used for a long time
- Need better controls
6. Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D Metal Detector
- In-depth metal detector
- Can discriminate to avoid detection of unwanted objects
- 6-inch waterproof coil
- Accommodating length for kids
- Battery charge signal
- Resonates the object location
- Different alert tones for different metals identified
- Detects quickly
- Distinguish detections with signs
- Small and cannot be used by adults
- Lacks accuracy
- Does not have an arm support
7. Viewee Metal Detector
- Kid-friendly for the outside outburst
- Button to turn on or off
- Buzzer to alert for detection
- Shovel to dig the ground
- Cn be used to search for any metal object
- Effortless to assemble
- Waterproof coil
- Alerts when a metal is detected
- Suitable for small kids
- Easy to handle
- Does not locate items properly
- The screen can be better
8. INTEY Metal Detector
- Head jack for precise detection
- Adjust as per your desire
- Pinpoint function for the targeted location
- Multiple buttons for operations
- Automatic sensitivity
- Easy to understand
- Detect diverse metal objects
- Minimum 5 cm to 10 cm underground search power
- Compact in size
- Waterproof coil
- Basic in use
- Do not diversify items
9. INTEY Metal Detector
- Suitable for kids
- 77cm to 109cm extendable stem length
- Headphones to avoid outside sound
- LCD for complete detection
- Waterproof coil
- Three different tones for better understanding
- Weighs 3lbs
- Easy to use
- Great for science projects or family adventures
- Runs on batteries that need to be purchased separately
- Include no guidelines about how to use the device
- Has to move to detect the metal
10. VVinRC Professional Metal Detector
- Automatic and highly sensitive metal detector
- Recognizes targets easily
- Adjustable shaft
- LED screen and waterproof coil
- Battery indicator
- Apt for target location identification
- Connect to headphones to eliminate external noise
- Not complicated
- Clear audio with highly accurate detection
- In-built battery
- Not suitable for indoors
- Be cautious about unwelcoming sounds
A metal detector can be a cool gadget to use for treasure hunts and such adventures for kids. But make sure that the kids use it correctly and under your supervision. Try to guide them at every step, especially near the beach or when hiking on hills.
- Have some ground rules to ensure they stay within the designated area and not wander into dangerous zones where they could get lost or hurt.
- Teach them how to use the device before they go out and use it on their own.
- Keep the LCD away from water.
- Avoid locations that could put the kids at risk. Stick to parks, or beaches, or other nature trails with no danger zones.
- Pick pleasant and warm days for the activity, and avoid venturing out on snowy days or very hot days.
- Wear clothes that are appropriate for the weather.
How To Choose The Best Metal Detectors For Kids?
Pick a metal detector that is appropriate for the kid’s age. Also, look for one depending on their level of metal detection. Other factors to contemplate before purchasing a metal detector for children are:
- Weight: The lighter it is, the better it is! Children’s metal detectors must be lightweight for easy mobility. They must not feel uncomfortable or too big to hold.
- Adjustable: Pick one with movable, portable, and detachable stem that gives you the flexibility to search anywhere.
- Functioning: Buy a metal detector with fewer complicated features, and more helpful ones such as visual and auditory alerts, different lights to differentiate items, and easy-to-use panel for smooth working.
Will These Detectors Work In Water?
Keeping safety and security as significant concerns, these metal detectors for kids are made to work on dry and damp areas like sand, beaches, grass, etc. Some detectors have coils that also work underwater, but the rest of the machine may get damaged if it comes in contact with water.
What Is The Best Waterproof Metal Detector?
All the listed metal detectors come with waterproof coils, but Canway, National Geographic Junior, and Bounty Hunter are the superior preferences which are suitable weather-resistant metal detectors among all.
What Types Of Targets Will These Detectors Find?
Searching with the detectors could lead you to find metals such as copper, silver, gold, iron, aluminum and so on. You could find coins, buttons, or even artifacts depending on where you are looking for the treasure. A few really good metal detectors with a larger range can also detect artifacts and other items buried deep under the soil or in water.
Can They Detect Gold?
Certainly! Metal detectors are quite helpful in detecting all types of metals as well as relics. The performance of sensors depends on the sort of items they can identify, so there is a chance that the metal detector you buy may also unearth some gold. That said, not all may be powerful enough to find precious metals.
The best metal detector for children must nurture the creativity of the kids as well as develop their thinking skills. It must boost their confidence level and motivate them to do things differently. Go through the options and choose the detector that you think your kid will like.